HomePortalGalleryCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

As Dubaiís Skyline Adds a Trophy, the Architect Calls It Stolen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : ‹ber Serious

PostSubject: As Dubaiís Skyline Adds a Trophy, the Architect Calls It Stolen   Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 pm

...The Mexican-born architect whose initial design inspired the structure, Fernando Donis, has accused the Dubai municipality of breaching his copyright in a lawsuit filed in December in United States federal court. Nine years ago, Mr. Donis won an international competition to design the building, besting more than 900 other entrants. Yet he was not included in the projectís execution and was not compensated for his intellectual property, his lawsuit claims.

ďItís shocking,Ē Mr. Donis said. ďThe Frame is mine, and they donít want to grant that it is mine. The infringement doesnít just victimize me. They have taken something from all architects ó the protection of our ideas.Ē

Raised as a monument to Dubaiís aspirations as a center of international commerce, the Frame is now a physical manifestation of the crude system that erected it.

Dubaiís ruling al-Maktoum family has long pledged reforms aimed at bringing rule of law to a business realm often subject to the self-interested edicts of officials. But the cityís entrenched system leaves outsiders vulnerable to mistreatment ó from professionals sketching blueprints to construction workers laying foundations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/business/dubai-frame-building-stolen-design.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=Trending&version=Full®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article

As Dubaiís Skyline Adds a Trophy, the Architect Calls It Stolen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-